Storytelling is a valuable form of human expression which can be in written form or oral. The authors of the stories aimed at captivating the readers and leaving them wanting more. Written stories can be used as a way of sharing experiences or teaching ethics, values, and cultural norms.
Readers love short stories and fiction authors should write stories that keep the reader entertained. When using written communication to tell a story you have to make sure your story introduction grabs the attention of your readers.
1. Captivate readers and draw them into your book’s funnel: Telling a great story draws the readers into the characters you have created and attracts them to read your other books.
2. Wide access: Many people can have access to your storybook. Duplicate copies of your book can be distributed to a large audience in different locations.
3. Reference material: A written document is a permanent document. Written stories are great for making references. Readers can easily reference some information they read from your storybook or novel.
4. Reliable: A written story is more reliable and carries more weight and validity than a spoken story or oral storytelling.
5. More precise: The storyteller is straight to the point on the message he wants to pass across or what he wants the readers to understand from his book. The objectives of the story are more clear and precise.
6. Convenient reading: Many people use their tablets, smartphones and other devices to read information. If you have a short story, they can read during a lunch break but if it’s a novel they can save the content to read later in their free time.
7. Future use: Written stories can be referred to in the future. They act as a permanent record that is stored for future use. If you loved a certain story, you can keep the book and read it again in the future.
8. Connect with more authors and readers: Written stories give you the opportunity to connect with more readers and other authors who appreciate your work. It also gives you an opportunity to co-write short stories with another author. More readers can discover you and your other books
9. Practice writing different genres: Storytelling gives you a chance to practice/experiment with writing a different genre. You can do more research and learn how to improve your storytelling.
10. Gain perspective: It allows the author of the story to delve into specific emotions which are tied to the event being narrated. Readers will be able to remember or recall the details of the story.
1. Time-consuming: It takes a considerable amount of time to write a whole book. If you write short stories, you may need several of them to publish a complete book with short stories.
2. No clarification: In written storytelling, there is no immediate clarification in case the reader wants something to be clarified. It may take days or weeks to get the author to respond.
3. Rigid: Written stories are not flexible and this makes them a rigid form of storytelling.
4. Poor writing skills: Your writing skills can hamper the effectiveness of storytelling. If your stories are not well thought of or properly punctuated, they may confuse the reader. This creates a negative impression of the storyteller.
5. Expensive: It may be very expensive to write the stories, publish and distribute them.
6. Limited to literate people: Written stories are limited to those who can read and write. Illiterate people cannot be able to read the stories.
7. Different interpretations: Written stories are interpreted differently by different people.
8. Challenge to write: There are strict rules which need to be followed especially when writing short stories. You’re limited to a few characters and a few scenes.
9. Passive readers: Written storytelling method tends to produce passive readers who read the stories without much-paying attention to the characters and the reasons for the stories.
10. No emphasis: In oral storytelling, the storyteller can emphasize the stories and characters using gestures, facial expressions, and other non-verbal communication techniques to ensure the audience clearly understands and be entertained. In a written story, non-verbal language is not used.