Image source: rd.com
Peanut butter and Jelly (PB&J) is a good choice for a healthy breakfast. A slice of PB&J sandwiches provides you with proteins, B vitamins, zinc, and iron needed by your body. The jam is also rich in unsaturated fats which lower cholesterol levels in the body. Although it may not be the healthiest diet, it has various benefits. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of taking PB&J.
1. Reduces blood sugar levels: PB&J is high in fat components and taking it 5 times a week reduces the blood sugar levels.
2. Delicious: Peanut butter jam is flipping delicious and you can spread it to your toast and enjoy your healthy breakfast. Try adding banana or apple slices to the PB&J to make a more delicious snack.
3. Contributes to weight loss: Taking the right portion of peanut butter is viable for your weight loss journey. It is rich in fatty acids, fiber, proteins, carbs, and calories per serving which help maintain a healthy diet.
4. Anti-diabetic: The fatty acids contained in peanut butter reduce blood glucose levels and also regulate insulate production. The unsaturated fats help in improving insulin sensitivity making it an anti-diabetic diet.
5. Lower blood pressure: The protein component in peanut butter helps in lowering blood pressure and reducing any risk for heart disease.
6. Vitamins: PB&J is rich in vitamin E supplements which is powerful antioxidant and help improve skin and hair health. Vitamin B6 strengthens your immune system by protecting your body from infections and diseases.
7. Minerals: PB&J has essential minerals like iron, zinc, calcium, and magnesium. Iron supplies oxygen to body cells and muscles during exercise while zinc is used to support the immune system.
8. Wound healing: Peanut butter is rich in nutrients whereas jelly is made of fruits that contain antioxidant components and increase intake of vitamin C. The components help in wound healing and promote healthy teeth and gums. The jelly also has a lot of fiber which controls cholesterol levels.
9. Healthy fats: Unsaturated fats found in nuts reduce cholesterol and the risk of heart diseases. Low fats can help boost energy levels and give a healthy brain.
10. Feel satisfied: The protein component from the nuts gives you the feeling of being full thus leaving you satisfied after eating the nuts.
1. Peanut allergies: Allergic reaction is one of the major concerns of people who suffer from tree nut and peanut allergies. Taking PB&J jam can create allergic reactions like digestion issues, skin reactions or itching, and running noise.
2. Cause elevated heart rate: Excess sugar from the sandwiches and jelly make it difficult for the body to balance blood sugar levels leading to an elevated heart rate.
3. Weight gain: Although peanut butter alone is taken with caution can aid in weight loss but if not careful, it will result in weight gain. Jelly also contains a lot of sugar which can add more calories to the body.
4. Food poisoning: Contaminated PB&J cause food poisoning or diarrhea to some people.
5. High sugar levels in jelly: Jelly isn’t much healthy since it contains a high amount of added sugar which can increase calories in the body.
6. Short shelf life: Exposed jelly need to be refrigerated and doing so spoils the peanut butter thus the combination can’t stay for long without spoiling.
7. Preservatives: The jelly in PB contains preservatives and other chemical components which are not healthy and can have negative effects on the digestion system.