Imperialism is the ability of a strong nation to extend its influence and power to a weaker nation. This is done through acts of diplomacy or by the use of military force.
The US has always exercised a considerable amount of influence and control over other nations. American imperialism involves international influence in the economic, military, technology, and cultural beliefs of other nations. Let’s look at the pros and cons of imperialism.
1. Develop global defense support: US imperialism has helped in providing the world with a high level of defensive support. It uses over 650 military bases to offer protection to people during conflicts.
2. Increase farm production: In the 1980s, the sugar growers on the Island were affected by tariffs on sugar making the product to be undersold in the market. The farmers knew becoming part of the US will reduce the tariffs hence improving the Hawaii economy.
3. Encourage cultural exchange: The US supports fallen nations with democratic concepts. Imperialism from the US helped in creating democracy in nations where there were a lot of dictatorship and cultural conflicts.
4. Paved the way to modernization: The US was the first to establish live broadcasts for current news and events. It was also the first nation to introduce robots and the exploration of space. It has helped other nations to obtain all these technologies through imperialism.
5. Provide better healthcare services: America has the best healthcare services in the world. It uses its resources and skills and applies them to nations in need. During the Ebola virus in West Africa, the US helped to contain the outbreak.
6. Helped America extend its territory: America used imperialism in Hawaii Island giving them access to military equipment, ports, and public property from the local government. It used imperialism to rule Puerto Rico
7. Improve educational resources: American has helped other nations to bring new cultures towards modern education standards through imperialism. It ensured other cultures are able to learn the global language to ease communication between different cultures and nations.
8. Provide products and market access: US exercised imperialism to match that of Europe so as to acquire territory and increase product access in the US market. Extending the influence to the Caribbean provided more markets for investment and expansion of the US economy.
9. Provide access to raw materials: Some imperialistic efforts are towards expansion and access to more resources. The US bought Alaska from the Russian Empire in order to have access to a plethora of raw materials.
10. Brought about industrialization: US imperialism paved the way for the advancement of infrastructure and the development of machinery to help in the progress of colonized nations. This led to increased standards of living and economic standards around the world.
1. Leads to discrimination: Forcing changes in terms of cultures and traditions leads to discrimination as the countries were forced to adapt to foreign ideas despite their protests. People from the colonial countries were shipped to different countries to work there.
2. Causes exploitation: People from nations that did not accept the powers and influences of strong nations were exploited and punished. They also exploited the colony’s wealth and natural resources.
3. Cause political feud: Imperialism leads to political conflicts between the US and other nations since no country or organization wants to be controlled by another entity.
4. Discredit local belief system: Introducing new cultures and beliefs to the local population through imperialism leads to the discrediting of the local belief system.
5. Encourages slavery: US imperialism encouraged slavery since cheap labor was needed in order to penetrate the market for labor-intensive crops.
6. Need a lot of money: To defend more than one nation, a lot of money is needed. US government spends a lot of money on various military bases around the world.
7. Imperialism is unnecessary: Some US opponents believe that the government should spend the imperialism money in developing resources in the nation and eliminate dependency on other nations.
8. Creates unhealthy dependence: The US spends more money in supporting other nations than what it is receiving in return. Some nations have built dependence on the aid they receive from the US like defensive and governing structures.
9. Creates global war from local conflicts: All territories acquired through imperialism become part of the US and these territories can be a target for missile attacks. Borders created on the territories can turn local conflicts into global wars.
10. Risk of infections: Colonists exposed the local population to diseases like smallpox and other diseases causing death.