Packaging refers to wrapping or bottling up products to keep them safe and protect them from damages during transportation or storage. Packaging may entail blocking, bracing, cushioning, marking, sealing, strapping, weatherproofing, and wrapping. Packaging is all about the process of design, evaluation, and production of packages. It is about a coordinated system of preparing goods for transport, warehousing, logistics, sales, and end-use.
Pros of packaging
Here are the advantages of packaging:
1. Keeps the products safe. Packaging keeps the product safe and protects it from physical impacts such as hitting, wetting, and even bruising. It protects the product from going bad and protects it from damage.
2. Informs the consumer. Packaging informs the consumer on the type of products and, in some cases, contains instructions on how to use the product. It informs the consumer about the properties of the products, including their weight, production date, expiry date, ingredients, and the product’s production company, hence a significant convenience to both the seller and consumer.
3. Reach the consumer safely. Another pro of packaging is that it allows the product to reach the consumer in the most economical way possible, creating ease in storage and transportation.
4. Improves customer experience. The customer experience plays a significant role in the business world. Customers know they receive high-quality products from a caring business with personalized packages. When products are packaged and have a custom look, it helps them feel they are receiving more than what they paid for, which improves the brand and the loyalty of the customers.
5. Increase your product’s appeal. Packaging products make them look more appealing and attractive for purchasing. Customers love a colorful, decorated box that makes them feel more like a gift than a purchase and is excited to open it up.
6. Enhance marketing strategy. Packing creates a sense of uniqueness, and consumers are likely to buy from companies that deliver unique content; hence acts as a part of a marketing tool or strategy; products will look more appealing and leave a long-lasting impression.
7. Develop a brand identity. Packaging helps improve the consumer’s loyalty as they prefer packaging that puts in their values and priorities. Hence, customers are more likely to show their loyalty toward goods that are well packaged. Packaging is one of the best ways to let customers know what they are about before they open the product box.
8. Helps save money. Packaging helps save money in the long run instead of finding a one-size fit for the products but all boxes that would fit their products with the exact dimension, reducing the shipping costs and making the brand look more pleasant and professional.
Cons of packaging
Here are the disadvantages of packaging:
1. Exhausts natural resources. Packaging exhausts natural resources through plastics and boxes to manufacture the packaging materials. The wooden crates may destroy the natural resources while manufacturing them.
2. Not environmentally friendly. Some packaging materials, such as plastic packaging, are health hazards; in most cases, the plastic bags are non-biodegradable. If the packages are not well taken care of, they could cause harm to the consumers and other living species in general.
3. Cost money. The packaging requires lots of money to buy the packaging material, such as manufacturing the plastic bags and the boxes used for packaging. The more the weight of the packages, the more ot will cost to transport.