Fracking is the process of extracting gas or oil by drilling into the earth surface. High rates of hydraulic pressure and fracturing fluid are injected forcefully into shale rock to create rock formation. It is a great investment for a reliable source of energy. There are a lot of critics on the effects of drilling gas and oil from the rocks whereas other individuals think it is beneficial.
1. Reliable natural gas: Fracking gives an opportunity to tap on the available natural resources.
Fracking process has made natural gas more viable than the coal power. Higher amounts of natural gas are extracted from shale deposits resulting in reduced prices of natural gas.
2. Fewer carbon emissions: Fracking natural gas production technique is environmentally friendly compared to gases from the fossil fuels.
3. Return on energy investment: There are reduced costs of fracking process in rural areas making it possible to have higher returns. Investors can receive energy stock as the part retirement benefits scheme.
4. Boost economy: Fracking boost the economic growth of a country. Increased oil and gas reserves in the US has increased the economy of the country. It reduces reliance on oil production companies like Saudi Arabia.
5. Sustainable: Compared to coal, natural gas is more sustainable with fewer carbon emissions.
6. Stable: The extraction process is stable although minimal earthquakes and tremors may occur in the drilled area. The earthquake is compared to those which can occur naturally.
7. Use of natural material: Although chemicals are used, the fracking process uses 99% of natural materials like sand and water to create a well.
8. Temporary process: The drilling operations do not go on forever, therefore, thus less cost is needed for setting up the fracking facility.
9. Job opportunities: The fracking processes involve long steps and skilled workers and other employees are needed to carry out tasks in the fracking process.
10. Underground process: The extraction process occurs under most of the groundwater tables thus using the chemical solution deep in the ground reduce groundwater contamination. Water above is contaminated if chemicals move up through a rock layer.
1. Affect the health of workers: The chemicals used in the fracturing liquid have a negative effect on the life of workers. The company may not comply with safety rules and regulations in the workplace and they’re reluctant to offer protective gears to employees create a health hazard.
2. Cause earthquakes: Hydraulic fracturing technique causes earthquakes due to high-pressure rates used in extracting oil and gas from the rocks. Excess wastewater on the extraction site can also contribute to earthquakes.
3. Air pollution: Methane chemical component used in the fracking process increases air pollution. Gases emitted during transportation of oil and gas also results in pollution.
4. Clean water shortage: Large volumes of water needed in the extraction process reduce the amount of available clean water for residents in the surrounding area.
5. Water contamination: chemicals used in the extraction can leak into water supply streams leading to water contamination. The water return to the ground contains toxic contaminants.
6. Lower prices lead to more consumption: The lower the prices of the fuel, the more fuel consumed, the greater the potential of environmental contamination.
7. Affect local habitats and communities: Many property owners don’t have oil and gas rights underneath their land. Companies with rights can drill oil in the area leading to the displacement of people without compensation.
8. Results to lack of innovation: Reliance in fracking techniques to generate oil and gas reduces chances of innovation in the area.
9. Noise pollution: The drilling machines and vehicles in and out of the site cause noise pollution disrupting the local community.
10. Environmental consequences: Although there is reduced carbon gases emission during the fracking process, the transportation of gases through tankers results in burning of fossil fuels that emits carbon.