You are currently viewing Pros and Cons of Beer

Pros and Cons of Beer

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Food
  • Post comments:0 Comments

Beer is one of the popular alcoholic beverage in the world. It contains yeast which is well-known as a rich source of nutrients giving you some health benefits. Beer should be taken with moderation and drinking a lot of this beverage can bring some health hazards like hangovers, headaches and much more.

Let’s look at the pros and cons of drinking beer.



1. Nutrients: Beer is rich in fiber, several B vitamins and minerals like magnesium and potassium which act as powerful antioxidants in your body.

2. Kidney stones: It reduces the risk of kidney stones. A research carried out showed that beer reduced the risk of developing kidney stones by 40%.

3. Aid against Coronary heart disease: Moderate beer drinking is linked to a low risk of coronary heart disease. Vitamin B6 contained in the beer reduce the heart risk factor in the blood homocysteine.

4. Reduce the risk of ischemic stroke: Having a light to moderate alcohol consumption leads to a reduced risk of ischemic stroke which is caused by clotting in the blood vessel.

5. HDL cholesterol: Moderate alcohol intake increase the HDL cholesterol, a good cholesterol for cardio-protective effects. It can also alter the ratio of the beneficial HDL to LDL.

6. Better thinking ability at old age: Men who have been drinking one alcoholic beverage per day seem to have a general thinking ability at their old age (late 80s and 70s) compared to non-drinkers.

7. Protect against radiation: A research done in Japan recorded a reduced risk of chromosomal damage from radiation on beer drinkers compared to non-beer drinkers.

8. Prevent ulcers: Moderate consumption of beer or wine (around 75 grams per week) reduces the risk of ulcers caused by a bacteria known as H. Pylori.

9. Diabetes: Moderate amount of alcohol help lower the risk of type 2 diabetes. Consuming light to moderate alcohol content has many health benefits to you.

10. Perfect beverage for socializing: You can take a cup or two while socializing with your friends.



1. Beer belly: Heavy drinking of alcohol promote obesity in men and a big belly which is known as the “beer belly”.

2. Heartburn: Beer has high stimulants of gastric acid secretion and this acid can have an impact on gastroesophageal reflux causing heartburn.

3. Dehydration: Alcohol consumption requires you to take water in between beers to avoid dehydration. 10% of alcohol consumed is secreted through urine and the liver needs a lot of water to the remaining 90%. This forces the liver divert water from other organs leading to dehydration and headache.

4. Hangover: A night of heavy drinking will leave you with a throbbing head and a cotton mouth feeling.

5. Blood pressure: Taking more than one cup of beer daily (approximately 40g of alcohol) increase blood pressure level.

6. Intoxication: Alcohol consumption even at low amounts can affect your concentration and motor skills leading to accidents on the road. It can also make one pick fights with others leading to severe injuries.

7. Side effects: Too much alcohol can cause drowsiness, trouble breathing, vomiting, lack of coordination and sometimes blackout.

8. Heart condition: Although it reduces the risk of heart failure, if you already have heart disease, taking alcohol will worsen the condition and cause a lot of chest pain.

9. Alcohol dependency: Long-term use of alcohol may lead to alcohol dependency which may have serious health issues like liver failure, malnutrition or inflammation of the pancreas.

10. Birth defects: Alcohol drinking while pregnant can cause birth defects to the unborn child or cause miscarriage.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.