A hot water recirculating pump is very useful when heated water is required to be present especially in a building. In most cases, the pump uses electrical energy to pump water.
These pumps pull and push water around the piping system to ensure that it reaches the heater as well as all strategic water flow points like taps. Less amount of water is usually drained away when these pumps are in use.
The pumps are thus of great help to many and have various merits which include:
1. Are Efficient for hot water: These pumps will efficiently pump hot water around a given water system for fast access.
2. Budget-friendly: Some brands of these pumps are cost-friendly. This makes them affordable to many people.
3. Less water wastage: Without such pumps, one would let the cold water to flow out first before the water becomes hot. This leads to water wastage especially if you’re in places with shortage of water. With these pumps, you can save a lot of water.
4. Convenient lifestyle: Since the pump pulls cold water back to the heater and supplies the hot water, there is constant access to warm water.
5. Located in almost all stores: The pumps are easily accessible. Almost all hardware stores or shops across the world sell these hot water circulating pumps.
6. Easy installation: With an existing water supply system, installing these pumps is very easy. One does not require complex skills to mount one of such pipes into his or her piping system.
7. Simple to operate: Just like installation, its use is also simplified. Some of these pumps are programmed to be controlled by a computer. Shutting on and off these pumps is as easy as clicking of a button by a person seated on his or her bed.
8. Integrated with renewable power sources: Hot water recirculation pumps are integrated with renewable power sources like solar and wind which makes them efficient devices for use. When used properly they can save energy.
9. Ensures always-on hot water and shower: Due to less wastage and proper circulation of water, the users enjoy unmatched experiences full of enough warm and hot water.
10. requires least or no government regulation: In most countries, few laws bind the purchase and installation of these pumps. To install these pumps in your piping system, no need to consult authorities.
The disadvantages of hot water recirculating pumps include:
1. Can face high Initial costs of setup: To install the entire water piping system is very expensive. For the pipes to function as intended, you have to incur a high initial setup cost.
2. Address excess heat loss: Before installation, you must consider the issue of losing too much heat by pipes in order to promote the efficiency of the pumps.
3. Access to cold water may be derailed: If you need cold water, it’s very difficult for the water to become cool especially when the heater is still on.
4. Overuse of these pumps can lead to increased energy use: The owners have to pay more energy bills since the users are used to these pump system.
5. Does not eliminate the need for power: Some pumps may even require the owner to add more power functionalities to achieve the stated goal in the water piping system.
6. Are not a hundred percent assurance of hot water supply: These pumps do not always guarantee its owner the availability of warm water. Availability of warm water is also heavily dependent on the type of heating and piping system.
7. Poor or no sensors: Crucial sensors that might need to be in place are usually absent in most of these pumps. The pumps with the sensor, on the other hand, break down regularly.
8. High maintenance cost: The cost of repairs is very high and it’s a huge burden to the user. Redesign of the entire piping system is very expensive.
9. Efficiency is dependent on the type and quality of system: Proper research on the type and quality of the piping system is very crucial in determining the efficiency of the system. Improper research will result in heat loss, water leaks, and energy wastage.
10. Threats of scum and mineral deposits: Hot water pumps are prone to mineral deposits. Long-time use of mineral deposit like calcium and magnesium may clog or block the pumps. You need to un-mount the pipes in order to remove these deposits.