Each school has its unique mode of dressing for all students. School uniform brings uniformity within the school and it differentiates one school from another. Both public and private schools have a uniform policy that is adhered by all students in the school. Let’s look at the pros and cons of having school uniforms.
1. Uniformity: Having a school uniform brings a sense of uniformity in the school and no weird colors being worn in the school.
2. Instill discipline: Having the students wear the same mode of clothing helps in instilling discipline to them. The school administrators and teachers don’t have to be the clothes police and spent time debating whether what a student is wearing is appropriate or not.
3. Avoid distractions: Uniforms enables students to dress the same and avoid distractions where one student is overdressed in class.
4. Reduce class barriers: When students wear uniforms, the gap between the rich and the poor is reduced increasing their social interactions.
5. Increase students focus: Uniform enables students not to spend time and energy thinking and commenting about one’s clothing. They spend their mental energy in learning thus boosting their focus in class.
6. Promote safety: School uniforms increase the safety of the student within and outside the school. It enables the student to focus on the studies without worrying about what to wear.
7. Reduce peer pressure: Since all students the same kind of outfit or clothes based on certain standards, it eliminates peer pressure to wear certain fashion styles in school.
8. Less time to get ready for school: Each student knows what he will wear in the morning as opposed to looking for what to wear that particular day. This enables students to get ready within few minutes.
9. Identify intruders: You can easily identify introducers in school since they are not wearing the schools uniform.
10. Reduce gang formation: School uniforms brings equality and ensure all students are treated the same. The policies set prevents unfair treatment to some certain groups of students.
1. Reduce diversity: School uniforms limit the concept of diversity within the school. Focusing on equality may affect socioeconomic, cultural beliefs and ethnicities among students.
2. Uniform policy: Schools with the uniform policy may enforce the policies by monitoring the clothing of the students. Students not dressed according to the school uniform standards end up being punished.
3. Additional tax: Parents are forced to pay additional taxes for the government to provide school uniforms to all public schools.
4. No freedom of expression: Having the students abide by the same dressing mode violates freedom of expression and may make students result in other forms of expressing individuality like body piercing.
5. Socioeconomic stereotypes: There are families which struggle to buy a school uniform for their kids and chasing those kids out of school due to their inability to afford school inform can create socioeconomic stereotypes.
6. Cost: Uniforms can be expensive for some parents as compared to buying regular clothes. Due to limited suppliers of uniforms, the prices may be very high.
7. Uncomfortable: Uniforms sometimes can make you uncomfortable. Having to wear a tie or a coat during warm weather may make you feel uncomfortable.
8. Bullying: Students who wear uniform to school may end up being bullied by those who don’t wear a uniforms to school. Although the uniform brings equality, students always notice the social class difference and cases of bullying or violence can increase.
9. No connection between uniforms and learning: There is no correlation between school uniforms and better learning. You need to look at other factors like the curriculum, instructional methods, and other factors to determine the success of students.
10. Delay transition to adulthood: Uniforms delays student preparedness for an adult since they can’t make their own decision on what clothing to wear and express themselves.
This Post Has 3 Comments
I thought that some of the pros and some of the cons were miss place but also i thought that some of them were fine such as the shcool uniforms having people can’t brag about how rich they are so keep me updated when the next list goes up.
I loved this articale