It is said that education is the key to success. Whenever education is mentioned, a school must be mentioned too as the school provides an environment for students to study. Most schools have a set time when lessons for each and every student begin. Each student prepares him or herself for school and is required to be present at the school latest on the set time. The set time should be considerate and favorable to the student. Delaying school start time has its benefits to the student or learner in a school. The merits of delaying school start time include:
1. Good for health: Delaying school start time would mean more time for school kids to sleep. Sleep is very important biologically for early development of the child’s brain and the rest of the body organs. Little sleep causes adverse health symptoms and reduces concentration in class. Having more time allocated to sleep would, therefore, be of great help to the kids.
2. May boost the academic performance of students: Starting school lessons late would make the students be at ease, more focused and stress-free. Such an environment would be very suitable for academic excellence hence more grades to the students.
3. Reduced student truancy: With delayed start time fewer students will escape from school to take a break from the stress they might be experiencing.
4. Reduces the time young children are left alone: Since the very early mornings will be occupied by sleep times, young kids will have shorter afternoons that they may be left alone. When children are alone they may do crazy stuff which may endanger their lives if there is no one to supervise them. Thus delaying school start time will help curb this issue of very long afternoons without supervision from parents.
5. Reduces dependency of kids on stimulants: Some kids mostly teenagers may heavily depend on stimulating drugs like coffee that contains caffeine to keep them awake and chase away the early time sleep. Intake of excess caffeine may bring about negative side effects to the body. Some may even be influenced by peers to use alcohol with the wrong impression that it will keep them alert during the early times.
6. Reduced dropout: Because delayed school time start offers the student more time to rest, students will feel comfortable. With students being in satisfaction there is usually a good learning condition that is created, and thus many will stay focused and adhere to all school rules and processes.
7. Gives time for breakfast: Morning breakfasts are usually our fuel of the day. For kids also meals taken during this time should not be rushed. Parents will also have an opportunity to cook better and many amounts of food. Kids should, therefore, have ample time to eat and socialize with their fellow brothers and sisters.
8. Possible reduction in accidents involving kids: Most of the children cycle or walk to school. If time schedules are so tight that they are supposed to attend school very early; kids may still be sleepy. This is one of the causes of road accidents as kids might not be that much alert and focused while crossing roads.
9. Better security: Going to school very early while it might still be dark may pose a security threat to them from malicious people like kidnappers. Children might also finish their school day and leave for home early where they would be alone. However, delaying school start time would, therefore, be of great help as it would imply less darkness, which can challenge malicious people who may have wrong intentions and ensure children are always with the care of their parents or teachers.
10. Increases students` morale: Students like teenagers may not require to be pushed so that they can attend school. Their morale and eagerness to study would thus be boosted. This would have an overall positive outcome on student results.
However, its demerits include:
1. The collision of family schedules: if implemented, there would be changes that would affect the normal routine of parents such as work timelines.
2. Encourages lateness: some kids made tend to stay at home more or even extend their stay at school after classes. This would see them get to school late in the morning or get home late in the evening.
3. School schedules would be affected: The school will have to adjust its timetables and teaching schedules to accommodate for the delay.
4. Requires students to adapt favorably: Students must plan well for learning and co-curriculum activities. Those who fail to have a good plan may end up failing in exams.
5. Least time for the makeup of subjects: With such a system, it can be difficult to cover up concepts in subjects that may need an extra explanation at a given extra-time.
6. Less school work time for co-curricular activities students: students who participate in sports after lessons may find less time to attend to school work.
7. Alters school end times: The time when lessons end would be largely affected and would also affect family schedules like dinner and supper times.
8. It challenges the transportation of kids: there would be congestion as each and every kid from the lower school and the upper school would have to be transported at the same time.
9. Does not always fully guarantee good performance: Delaying school start time is not an assurance that kids will perform better than before.
10. May receive opposition from parents or the school: some parents may feel that their schedules will be affected adversely as well as the school management and thus this proposition would face lots of hostility.