The importance of college education cannot be overestimated. A lot of people consider college education the apex of regular education and a degree at this level is considered highly valuable. This is why people have resorted to pursuing this education by whatever means possible including online. We take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of college education.
1. Flexibility: Online College offers a certain level of flexibility that is not found in the regular college classes. Students are free to attend class at their convenient time and location and can choose the length of each class at a time.
2. Convenience: Online College is not only flexible but very convenient as well. Students are not required to attend class every day or for a certain number of hours a week as is the case with the regular college classes.
3. It is cheaper: Online College is cheaper and more affordable than regular college. Students only need to have access to the internet and probably pay for the examination and a minimum amount for the course content.
4. Students can study in their own time: Online College offers students the flexibility and convenience of selecting their study time. They are free to select classes at the times they feel they will be available.
5. More comfortable learning: Online college education offers students the opportunity of a more comfortable learning environment. This is because students can easily attend classes at the comfort of their living rooms or even bed.
6. Tailored to different needs: Online education is student-specific. This gives the students an opportunity to customize their training needs in terms of course and professional pursuits in the future.
7. Learn whatever you want: Online college education comes in handy because it guarantees the students the opportunity to pursue whatever course they may want to pursue.
8. No need to commute: Unlike the regular college education, online college education does not requires students to attend physical classes. This eliminates the needs to commute from home to school and back as is the case with regular college.
9. Improve your technical skills: Online college education, just like the regular college education, is designed to impact students with the opportunity to grow and improve their careers. This includes perfecting their technical skills and other areas.
10. You can transfer credits: Online college education also gives students the chance to transfer credits achieved at this level of education to university or to any other regular class.
1. Lack of social interaction: Online college education restricts students to solitary learning which may restrict their social interaction. This ends up affecting their social lives and may also have a negative effect on their personal lives.
2. Lack of structure: Online College has no defined structure and students are free to customize their learning curve. This leaves a lot of gaps to the system especially at the end of the course.
3. Lack of accreditation: Online college education is not officially accredited as a means to an education. While it is recognized globally, it may lack sufficient backup and accreditation from the relevant authorities.
4. Low quality of education: Online college degrees are not thorough as far as content and delivery is concerned. As a graduate of an online institution, the quality of education is low and not authentic in some cases.
5. No face to face interaction: Online college education lacks the face to face interaction between teacher and student and between students. This means that each student has to figure out their own problems in case they need any help.
6. More work: Online college education usually comes with a lot of work and assignments because the teacher has very little effect on an online platform. Al the work will be left to the student.
7. Requires intense self-discipline: Online college education, unlike the regular education where the system has everything figured out for you, requires that you plan out your day properly and stick to your program if you must succeed.
8. Requires self-guidance: Online college education lacks the student teacher interaction that is usually helpful in providing guidance especially where the student may feel like they need help.
9. No comparing notes and sharing of opinions: It is difficult or impossible to compare notes and share ideas and opinions in an online class because each student is stationed separately and in their own location.
10. Learning from computer screens: Online college education requires that the students achieve their goals through a computer screen at all times. While this is cumbersome, it may also bring some health issues.