Zone diet has been popular over the years for those who want to lose weight and burn fat without feeling hungry. The main aim of the zone diet is to ensure you feel full and satiated. This reducing overeating.
It helps reduce the amount of calories intake and make it easier to stay on the diet. The diet consists of one-third of proteins, two-thirds of carb and some healthy fats or unsaturated fats.
1. Weight loss: Zone diet provides you with a long-term weight loss journey and helps you to avoid gaining the weight back (Jojo effect). The diet helps you maintain healthy eating habits.
2. Feel full: The 5 food portions a day ensures you don’t feel hungry and overheat. This helps you to successfully maintain this healthy diet plan.
3. Build muscle: Zone diet focuses on building your muscle tissue and also help in burning the excess fat in the body.
4. Satiated: Maintaining portions of 30% protein, 30% of unsaturated fats and the remaining 40% on carbohydrates makes you feel satiated and great.
5. Reduce inflammation: Taking the right portions of proteins, carbs, and fats help you reduce inflammation caused by certain foods. Foods that create inflammation may lead to aging, sickness, and weight gain.
6. Control insulin: Zone diet helps in controlling the insulin levels in your body making it easy to control or prevent the risk of diabetes.
7. Reduce digestion issues: Maintaining a healthy zone diet will help reduce various problems like gallstones, heartburn, acid reflux, and other digestion issues.
8. Protect against cardiovascular diseases: Taking health fats or mono-saturated fat helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. The diet helps you improve on the bad cholesterol scores.
9. Control hormones: The diet helps in controlling the body hormones. Following this diet will help to naturally control your hormones.
10. Increases potassium: Zone diet increases the amount of Potassium in the body by taking more fruits and vegetables.
1. Endurance to the diet: If you have been having an active life, following the diet for a week leads to reduced stamina and you feel exhausted too quickly before the body adjusts to the diet.
2. Reduced fiber intake: Taking fewer carbohydrates leads to reduced healthy fiber intake. The low carb diet limits the intake of foods high in fiber. Foods rich in fiber helps boost the digestive system and gut health.
3. Difficult to follow: If you crave for more carb foods, then this diet plan will be very difficult for you to follow. If the instructions not properly followed, it leads to more destruction of the body instead of helping.
4. Calcium deficiency: Zone diet doesn’t favor the consumption of dairy products, it leads to a deficiency of calcium in the body.
5. Not well-balanced: The low portions of food products may lead to the deficiency of some nutrients and vitamins like vitamin C, folic acid, and fiber.
6. In-depth planning: It may be difficult to plan for the diet especially if you’re starting on Zone diet. You need in-depth meal planning by measuring and counting all the calories to get it right.
7. Expensive: Following Zone diet and eating the recommended portions require you to spend more by buying all the products needed for the diet like cereals, foods rich in omega 3, and foods rich in unsaturated fats among other products.
8. Low in calories: Zone diet leads to consumption of a low number of calories which is extremely lower than the recommended calories intake by the American Medical Association.
9. Zone diet, not Kidney-friendly: This diet is not recommended to those who have kidney problems since the increased proteins in the diet may lead to overworking of the kidney during digestion.
10. Time-consuming: It takes a lot of time and effort to get the right portions. There is also a lot of inconsistency.