Hearing is one of the five basic senses. Sometimes complications of the ear can lead to deafness. Various solutions for this include a cochlear implant.
A cochlear implant is usually a surgical implant of an electronic device in the inner ear to aid in hearing. People have been using implants for a long time and they have a lot of benefits.
1. Improves sound perception: These implants can give a person with hearing impairments the increased ability to hear. Having regular therapy can enhance proper communication.
2. Safety: By increasing the ability to hear saves one from certain dangers associated with sound.
3. Gives opportunity to smooth practice and career: Implants correct the hearing defects. This enables the person to learn easily by use of sound devices. This gives them an assurance to achieve career goals. Training will also be easier as one does not need interpreters to acquire career skills from the tutor.
4. Enhances speech development: Being able to share ideas and receive information is usually a golden opportunity. Having an effective implant will enable the child or even an adult to listen and speak with ease when compared to one who lacks the implant.
5. Enjoy music: An adult or child whose hearing has been improved through implant can listen to favorite playlists. He/she can start to enjoy melodious music for the first time in life.
6. Most implants respond positively: Most people will experience the benefits of the implant within a short time hence regaining a normal life.
7. Promotes self-esteem: In cases where normal hearing is retained to some level, it puts someone in a courageous position. It makes them live to the fullest with self-confidence.
8. One can now make telephone calls: Communication using electronic gadgets is very compulsory for every human being. The cochlear implant makes communication easier.
9. No need for sign language: When a person cannot perceive sound waves, Sign language is used. Once cochlear implant is fixed, you no longer have to rely on sign language to understand a message.
10. Children are able to complete education normally: Every child aims at receiving a quality education with minimum disruptions. Students with hearing problems can go for cochlear implants. Students will encounter fewer difficulties during learning, therefore, easily impacting on their knowledge.
1. High costs: Those lacking enough funds or insurance covers will be disadvantaged for they will need to dig more into their pockets to pay for costly procedures involved.
2. Surgery is sometimes a must: We all know how sometimes this surgical procedure can turn out to be since it involves sensitive parts. Bleeding and other complication can arise which may become severe to the extent of death in case the type of medical support is poor. Use of anesthesia in surgery procedure may result in adverse effects to some people.
3. Regular maintenance required: Cochlear implants require regular repairs; for example, they need changing of battery and medical support which can be a bother to its user.
4. Require a lot of precaution: Precaution must be taken for children who are playing in order to avoid damaging the mounted device. Those who work in industries should restrain from activities that are extremely energetic.
5. Varying hearing performance: Different people respond differently to the implants. An implant that is successful in a certain person is not a sure win for another.
6. Effects of background noise: Background noise found in most places need some measures to curb it. You need more instruments to solve this problem.
7. Cochlear implants do not completely cure deafness: The implants are only good in improving the hearing ability. To some certain hearing levels, it’s not an assurance of complete healing.
8. Possible infections after the implant: A surgical procedure can turn out infectious. This can force doctors to remove the implants thus adding more costs. Other diseases like bacterial meningitis are also prone to people who have done the implant.
9. The non-existence of the future implant manufacturer: The implant is usually designed to stay for a long time. However, in times when the manufacturer of the implant stops production, maintenance and support of the implant; this can be a huge setback.
10. Natural sound is better: The implants are too artificial. They are not comparable to the natural sound perceived a normal ear.