Technology keeps on changing. The recent technological advances have come with several advantages and disadvantages to almost all aspects of the global economy. Today, each and every technological advancement has the potential of being a game changer in one way or another. But is technology always a good thing or is it a double edged sword? We set to find this out.
1. Easy access to information: Technology has led to easy access to information. Search engines such as Google and Bing are all what you need to access just about any form of information across the world.
2. Encourages innovation and creativity: Technology has created an environment that encourages innovation and creativity by providing a platform on which all advances can be anchored.
3. Improved communication: Technological advancement has led to improved communication through such things as the internet and mobile technology. People can get in touch with friends and family from just about any corner of the world.
4. Convenience of travelling: Technology has made travelling from one place to another quite easy. Through the invention of airplanes and bullet trains, people can move to all corners of the world without any problems.
5. Improved housing and lifestyle: Technological advancement has led to better and improved standard of living and lifestyle through such things as heated homes during winter and other things that make life bearable.
6. Better entertainment: Through technology, people are now able to access better forms of entertainment such as live television and 3D movie screening that were previously unavailable.
7. Efficiency and productivity: Technology has made processes more efficient which has led to the reduction of wastage and improvement of efficiency in business and government.
8. Convenience in education: Technology has led to the improvement of technology and creation of better platforms to access technology. Right now, people do not have to go to class to access education as the same is provided online.
9. Social networking: Technology has brought people even closer from all over the world. Through social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, people can now reach and communicate with one another from across the globe.
10. Improved healthcare: Technological advancement has led to improved healthcare through advancement such as organ transplant, a fete that was previously unavailable.
1. Social isolation: Technology has led to social isolation especially among the youth who spend most of their time in social networking sites.
2. Loss of employment: Technological advancement has led to the creation of such things as robots that can literally perform most of the functions that were previously performed by man. This means these robots are slowly replacing humans in the workplace.
3. Reduced competency: Technological advancement has led to reduced competency by humans who depend a lot on the technology. People no longer put in any effort because all the answers are on the internet.
4. Weapons of mass destruction: Technology has led to the creation of weapons of mass destruction such as atomic and nuclear weapons that are lethal and can cause mass damage to humanity. Weapons such as those dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were created from technological advancement.
5. Causes pollution: Technology has led to the development of vehicles and planes that cause air pollution and water pollution on various levels.
6. Reduced privacy: Technology, through such things as the internet, have led to reduced privacy among the global population. Today, people can monitor you from the comfort of their living rooms even if you are a thousand miles away using technology.
7. Intellectual property theft: Technology has also led to other crimes such as intellectual property theft where people can now steal your idea or your invention and present it as their own in a manner that puts you at a disadvantage.
8. Exposure to attacks: Technology has also exposed a lot of people and left them vulnerable and prone to attacks. People are now being monitored using drones that are controlled by people who are thousands of miles away.
9. Loss of human touch: As technology continues to advance, there is the threat of loss of human touch in nearly all facets of human life. Today, technology is being used in almost all industries such as driverless cars and artificial intelligence.
10. Malfunctions may lead to loss of life: In as much as technology is a good thing, it may sometimes fail. Technological failure is fatal and may lead to loss of human life at a much greater scale.