Teaching is one of the most satisfying jobs in the world today. It is a job with a purpose. For a long time, teaching was considered as one of the most prestigious and most respected careers in most places across the world. While a lot has changed in the 21st century, teaching continues to be a prestigious profession across the globe. The following are some of the advantages and disadvantages of teaching.
1. Gives you the chance to make a difference: Teaching as a career is instrumental to the teacher because it gives the teacher an opportunity to make a difference in the life of a child by impacting knowledge.
2. Offers a friendly schedule: Teaching as a profession offers teachers a very friendly schedule since teachers are not expected to be in class for 8 hours like other careers. They are therefore flexible hence have significant time to do other things.
3. Gives you the chance to interact with different people: Through teaching, teachers get a rare opportunity to interact with a variety of people in different forums and even in school which gives them an open mind about issues.
4. Is never boring: Teaching as a career is never boring. Teachers have a rare opportunity to interact with people from different backgrounds every year which makes the profession very engaging.
5. Allows you to share knowledge:
Teaching is the only profession where you are allowed and paid to share your knowledge with others who need it more than you do. This gives you a prime status in the society.
6. Continuous growth and learning: Through teaching, teachers are able to continuously grow and learn new things that may not be available to other people from other professions. New knowledge and information is disseminated every time and this keeps them on top.
7. Lifetime bonds: Teaching is a career that gives the teacher an opportunity to form lifetime bonds with students. A teacher may have taught a student several years ago but the student will never forget the teacher at all.
8. Solid work benefits: Teachers are some of the best paid people in the world with solid work benefits that are protected by the government.
9. Respects in the society: Teaching as a profession earns teachers great respect in the society since most of the people in the society were probably taught by the teacher.
10. Closer to the society: Teachers are not only respected in the society but they are also considered as the darlings of the society because of their closeness to people and the impact they have on people within the society.
1. Is not the most glamorous job: Teaching is not considered among the most glamorous jobs especially in the 21st century where more and more jobs have been brought about by technology.
2. Will never make you wealthy: If you are looking for a career that will make you wealthy, then teaching should not be among your ideas. Most teachers get an average salary which can never have a significant impact.
3. Is terribly trendy: Teaching is a trendy career that requires teachers to be up to date with what is happening in and around the society which piles more and more pressure on the teachers.
4. Standardized testing of students: Teaching requires that students be tested at the end of each semesters to assess the capabilities of the students. This method of testing is not always fair.
5. Requires parental support: Teaching means that you have to be taking care of other people’s children when they are not with their parents and that means you become a parent during the day which may be stressful sometimes.
6. It’s too political: Teaching can sometimes be too political which may add to the stresses of the teachers because every decision has to be made by the politicians who may not understand the impact it has on teachers.
7. Can be stressful: Teaching can sometimes be too stressful to teachers which may negatively affect their health because of the pressures and the time they need to invest in teaching other people’s children.
8. Taking care of everybody else’s children: Teaching requires that you take care of other people’s children which may sometimes eat into your time of taking care of your own child.
9. Requires more time: Teaching as a profession requires that you invest a lot of time teaching and understanding the capabilities of a child before you can offer adequate support.
10. Involves a lot of paperwork: Teaching is one of the professions where there is still a lot of paperwork especially in terms of examinations given to students. Teachers still have to deal with a lot of paper in their careers.