Yogurt is made of fermented dairy milk with live cultures. It is a healthy diet that provides a great source of proteins, calcium, potassium, and vitamin D. There are various yogurt brands in the market, therefore you should read the yogurt labels to ensure you choose the healthy product.
1. Source of probiotics: Yogurt contains live cultures and it’s an excellent source of probiotics that acts as a healthy bacteria for promoting gut and digestive health.
2. Protein content: Some yogurts have lactose removed and contain a high content of protein and lower carbohydrates contents making them ideal for a post-workout snack. This makes it suitable for use during breakfast or as a snack food.
3. Weight management: Yogurt diet contributes to weight loss. Eating a low-fat diet supplemented with three servings of healthy yogurt each day can improve the immune system as well as accelerate weight loss.
4. Nutrient advantage: Eating plain yogurt serves a low amount of proteins, carbs, calories, phosphorus, and calcium. These nutrients aid in digestion and promote healthy intestines. Plain Greek yogurt has more nutrient values.
5. Boost immune system response: Regular consumption of yogurt with active bacteria cultures increase your immune system by strengthening the intestinal epithelial and stimulating the production of lymphocytes.
6. Protect against Osteoporosis: The various nutrients contained in the yogurt help maintain bone health. These minerals and vitamins help protect against osteoporosis, a condition for weakening bones among the elderly.
7. Lower blood pressure: European yogurt has a high protein content, calcium, and potassium leading to low blood pressure.
8. Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease: Some types of yogurts contain thickeners and additives with common ingredients containing bacteria cultures and adding this yogurt to your diet will reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes.
9. Better mood: Yogurt probiotics bacteria help promote better moods in women and indigestion issues. It also makes you feel fuller compared to other types of snacks.
10. Prevent yeast infection: Yogurt has a Lactobacillus acidophilus component, a probiotic bacteria that kills yeast bacteria by producing hydrogen peroxide. Eating yogurt every day can help prevent yeast infection especially in diabetes patients.
1. Saturated fats: Saturated fats in some flavored yogurts increase low-density lipoprotein which puts you at high risk of heart disease. Yogurts with more than 5 grams of saturated fats put you at high risk.
2. Sugar: Some brands flavored brands contain sugar and taking them in excess can contribute to health problems and increase the cholesterol level in your body.
3. Fewer probiotics: Although it contains good bacteria suitable for gut health, the quantities of probiotics are significantly less than those found in Kefir.
4. Made of dairy product: Although most lactose and whey is removed, the product still contains dairy and the proteins and casein components can cause digestive issues or lead to headaches, skin rashes, and other issues.
5. Milk allergy: If you’re allergic to some milk proteins like whey and casein, then taking yogurts with a high content of these proteins can lead to allergies like hives and swelling.
6. Heart disease: Sweetened yogurt with a high amount of fructose or sugar leads to high levels of bad cholesterol or LDL and this is linked to increased risk of heart disease and atherosclerosis.
7. Overindulgence risk: Eating more than three cups of yogurt per day especially sweetened yogurt puts you at health risk. It is recommended you take an overall dairy serving of three cups in a day.
8. Bloating or discomfort: Some people with lactose intolerance however how small it is may experience discomfort, gas, or bloating after consuming frozen yogurt.
9. Digestive symptoms: Those who are allergic to dairy products or have lactose intolerance should avoid taking yogurt because they may experience symptoms like abdominal pain and diarrhea.
10. Risk of kidney stones: Too much calcium contained in yogurt can increase the risk of kidney stones, prostate cancer, as well as impair absorption of iron and zinc.