Newspapers have been with us since time immemorial. A lot of people around the world rely on newspapers for all their news and information needs. But as technology continues to take over the reins of media, newspapers are fast becoming obsolete. We take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of newspapers as sources of news.
1. Newspapers carry the news of the world: Newspapers are the source of news for almost all countries in the world. They carry information regarding all the happenings around the world to all corners of the world.
2. Newspapers provide information and general knowledge: Newspapers contain valuable information and news that is expected to not only inform but also to build and develop a knowledge database.
3. Newspapers provide news about a country’s: economic situation, sports, games, entertainment, trade, and commerce. Through newspapers, we are able to tell what is happening in various industries around the world.
4. Good habit: Reading a newspaper makes a good habit and it is already part of modern life. This habit will widen your outlook and will enrich your knowledge.
5. Reading newspaper makes you well informed: It enables you to take part in every discussion pertaining to the world’s current events. By reading newspapers, you will not only improve your knowledge but you will also share your knowledge with others.
6. Boosts your self-esteem: Reading newspapers will improve your knowledge in general and it will be easy for you to relate to other people who often talk about current events and politics. You will gather the courage to share your opinion about national and international issues.
7. Wide perspective: Through newspapers, you will have a clear idea and understanding of what is happening in your country and the whole world.
8. Newspapers create employment: The newspaper industry has created valuable employment for more people than most industries across the globe.
9. Newspapers are light in weight: Newspapers are light in weight which makes them portable and easy to move around with.
10. Newspapers improve language and vocabulary: You will be able to build and improve your language and vocabulary if you invest in reading newspapers.
1. Expensive: In some or most of the newspapers the advertisement space may be expensive which prohibits people from advertising through the newspaper.
2. It is analog: As the Internet, Television or Radio are used widely by many people, so advertisers prefer newspapers less for advertisement compared to the Internet and other media.
3. It can easily be discarded: Newspapers can be easily discarded once read, so fewer chances for advertisers to convert the advertisement into leads or sales.
4. Exposes your strengths: Newspapers are available to all and sundry. This means that competitors can easily see the price of your product and hence they quickly react to your price which gives them a competitive advantage over your products.
5. Fake news: In some cases, the news published in the newspapers especially on the front page could be wrong. The news is even twisted and distorted to create a bad impression of an individual or company.
6. Poor quality: Newspapers sometimes come published with poorly printed text and images that can hardly be read or seen by readers. This makes it difficult to get the intended information because the news has already been published and cannot be recalled.
7. Newspapers are cumbersome to carry around: Newspapers are cumbersome to move and carry around because of their shape and loss pages. This makes it difficult to conveniently carry them from one place to another.
8. Newspapers cannot be updated: Once they have been published, they cannot be changed or updated because of their nature. This makes them rigid in terms of news and information sources.
9. Newspapers may misrepresent information: Sometimes newspapers are prone to information misrepresentation which may work against them especially in the court of public opinion.
10. Newspapers are expensive cumulatively: It is quite expensive to produce and publish newspapers especially because they have to be distributed across the country.