Sealing a concrete driveway is a sensible way to protect and extend the lifespan of the material. Thankfully it doesn’t require much time or money to do so and is an easy way to keep the area around your home looking its best way.
A quality siloxane concrete sealer can add years to the lifespan of a driveway at a low cost. Water is the main culprit for damage to concrete driveways because it penetrates and expands during freezing periods.
1. Concrete is a relatively affordable option when you consider longevity. You may need to have a driveway done only once during the time you own your home. Therefore, can be affordable to everyone willing to use it.
2. Concrete is an exceedingly durable surface. When the concrete driveway is well installed, it can last for 50 years or more.
3. Concrete driveways are very strong. Concrete driveways with proper base and reinforcement are the best. They can stand up to the heaviest vehicles you are likely to drive.
4. They are long-lasting. The concrete driveway is a versatile and durable building material for a long period of time. Concrete generally remain functional for 20 to 50 years depending on how well they’re being maintained.
5. Maintenance. Although people think concrete driveways are virtually maintenance-free, they need constant maintenance to keep them clean and increase longevity.
6. Improves concretes ability to repel moisture. The concretes driveway has the ability to prevent or to repel moisture in the construction material.
7. Can add years to the life of the driveway. Concrete generally remains functional for 25 to 50 years. This adds to the years of service to the lifespan of the material.
8. It can help prevent cracks and frost heave. Due to its strong nature when well maintained, the concrete driveway prevents cracks that may appear.
9. A concrete driveway may help prevent color fade. Sealing concrete driveways enhances color and ensure the driveway is shiny. This prevents the fading or change of the original nature of the material.
10. It performs quite adequately. Applying good quality seal every few hours will extend its life and make it look good.
1. It makes the surface slippery. Most of the sealers especially high gloss types can be quite slippery when wet. some contractors add the type of abrasive to the sealer to add a bit of texture.
2. Needs to be reapplied every couple of years. Sealers have a lifespan of two years shorter for high traffic patios, the surface needs to be resealed every few years to maintain its protective and aesthetic properties.
3. Additional cost. Depending on the type of sealer required or chosen, additional charges may apply .make sure to discuss this with your concrete contractor.
4. May contain harsh chemicals. The older types of concrete sealers contain chemicals that may be harmful to people and pets however there are newer types now that contain organic or eco-friendly ingredients.
5. More expensive. Sealing of the concrete driveway may add the cost of the project; it may bring others expenses that were not planned or put in the budget of the project.
6. Provides limited wear resistance. Despite being a strong sealer it doesn’t provide 100% protection or the resistance.
7. It cannot be applied to the brand new concrete. Sealing at a time may not stick or do well in a brand new concrete and may not do well as required to do/
8. It needs to be applied periodically. Sealing concrete driveway needs to be always applied periodically for a certain period of time for it to maintain shiny nature.
9. Can be expensive; sealing of the concrete driveway can be referred to as an expensive job due to that it requires a lot of things.
10. Time-consuming; sealing of the concrete driveway may consume a lot of time due to the steps that need to be followed when doing it.