Pros of Zinc:
1. Helps in proper brain development. When zinc is combined with other minerals such as iron and calcium, they help in proper brain development and prevention of certain brain disorders and moods swings.
2. Helps in reproduction and blood clotting process. Zinc-rich diets help the platelets have efficiency in the blood clotting process, which in turn prevents loss of excess blood during injuries. Fast clotting prevents loss of nutrients from the body as well as preventing the entry of nasty microorganisms into the blood system hence preventing advanced diseases. In reproduction, parts like the oviduct and the ovaries develop well in presence of this zinc mineral.
3. Zinc improves immunity. Zinc boosts the efficiency of white blood cells making them more likely to fight diseases in the blood system. This is important as the body is always kept healthy for proper metabolic functioning.
4. Zinc helps in skin protection. Zinc is incorporated in many diaper rash formulation and in making most sunscreens. Sunscreens prevent burns and keep our skins supple.
5. Helps in the production of enzymes. Zinc combines with other elements in the body to aid in the production of over300 different enzymes which are involved in various biological processes in the body.
6. Helps in delaying aging. Zinc combined with other antioxidants reduce the aging proses and, eyesight loss.
7.Important for pregnancy. Proper amounts of zinc help in fetal development. This ensures the fetus is of the right weight, size and in good health. In pregnant women, zinc prevents most of the problems associated with delivery.
8. Helps in the treatment of diseases and disorders. Zinc is taken by mouth and helps in the treatment of cancer, stunted growth in children and acute diarrhea.
9. Helps in preventing tooth problems. Zinc is incorporated in kinds of toothpaste to help fight tooth infections and decays.
Cons of zinc:
1. Excess zinc causes Nausea. This is often when zinc is taken on an empty stomach. You may experience vomiting, exhaustion, headaches, and diarrhea.
2. Excess zinc hinders immune health and heart health. Proper doss is important as the result of excess zinc are fetal. For instance, excess zinc lowers the immunity of the body making it vulnerable to attacks from microorganisms and other bacteria.
3. Zinc intranasal products can cause loss of smell. Experiments have been conducted and show that prolonged use of zinc nasal supplements may loss the sense of smell and the process is irreversible. In fact, doctors are against the whole idea of using zinc
4. Excess zinc hinders absorption of other minerals. This includes iron, whose deficiency causes anemia and other disorders associated with less levels of other minerals.
5. Interfering with other prescriptions. Some antibiotics, immunosuppressant drugs, and antibiotics are less efficient in the presence of zinc. This gives a negative response especially since the drugs taken cannot act and the body cannot respond.
6. Excess zinc interferes with enzymatic activities. Enzymes are key elements in our bodies and excess zinc may have an infuse on them by encouraging underproduction of this enzyme. This will cause inefficiency in daily body activities.